You could be losing hundreds to thousands of dollars per month on your investment property if you have below market rents. Something needs to be done to maximize your investment, this can be difficult and complex or quick, simple and easy. Of course every area has a rental ceiling, a market rent, as does every asset type "A+" through "D-", your job as an investor and asset manager is to find it.
This is What You Need to Do.
1. Evaluate the space.
2. Double Check Codes, keep apartments safe for the tenants.
3. Ask yourself what you would pay extra for, what would make an apartment a home?
4. Build it.
Keep Codes and Safety in Mind.
1. Are all smoke detectors working? You should be sure to have smoke detectors in all required locations, they should have a 10 year battery back up and they should be checked often
2. Adding fire extinguishers in either the kitchen or laundry area boosts safety and in turn can make perspective tenants feel better about an apartment
3. Make sure to have good working locks on all doors, nice finishes give apartments an added splash of style
There are a lot of big and small upgrades that can be done to apartments in order to command and achieve the market rent. Be sure to understand your town and understand what your competition is. It is entirely possible to over do an apartment turn and not be able to get the rent that you expected. At the same time you do not want to leave money on the table, a loss to lease each month adds up and rents are part of the equation to valuing your property, so the higher the rents the more your property is worth (assuming you are working on a commercial building).
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!